Mustang MonthlyNews & Views
2012 Shelby 1000
A 1000-Horsepower Mustang From Shelby American
Shelby American tried to keep it quiet until the car's official introduction at the New York Auto Show on April 5. But when you've got a 1,000 horsepower street car, and a Shelby Mustang at that, it's difficult to keep it under wraps.
You'll be able to read all about the new 2012 Shelby 1000 in a special drive report in the May issue of Mustang Monthly. But with the news leaking out, we wanted to let our website readers in on the latest from Shelby.
First off, the Shelby 1000 is not a Super Snake. Although some SS bits and pieces find their way into the new car, the Shelby 1000 is a separate model, created to showcase what modern technology can do for a car that is best suited for high-speed time trials like the Texas Mile. And don't expect a loud-mouth, teeth-rattling race car; that same technology has allowed Shelby technicians to tune the car with normal street manners. At low speeds, it drives just like a brand-new Shelby G.T. 500 from your Ford dealer.
Here are the quick details: For the post-title Shelby 1000, the Shelby American team rebuilds the G.T. 500's 5.4L engine with heavy-duty crankshaft, rods, and pistons, then enhances the breathing with a larger supercharger, ported heads, and performance exhaust, along with improved cooling. To handle the power, the factory rear end is replaced by Ford 9-inch. The Shelby 1000 also incorporates braking improvements (6-piston calipers in front, 4-piston in the back) and an upgraded suspension.
Unlike the in-your-face G.T. 500 Super Snake, the Shelby 1000 is purposely subtle, with only a taller hood dome (to clear the supercharger) and reflective side and trunk lid graphics.
The Shelby 1000 will be offered in both a street and "off-road" S/C version. According to Shelby American, the street-legal version dyno's at approximately 950hp on pump gas, while the S/C edition is rated at over 1,100hp.
"Carroll Shelby is a visionary who has pushed the boundaries of performance his entire life," said John Luft, president of Shelby American. "He challenged the Shelby American team to develop the Shelby 1000 and wanted to unveil this amazing new Shelby at the New York Auto Show to celebrate 50 years since he unveiled his first Shelby Cobra. We will have that very car, Cobra #1 (CSX2000), along with the Shelby 1000, on display in our Shelby American booth in New York."
A limited number of Shelby 1000s will be built, each numbered and documented. The street package starts at $149,995 and the track S/C version starts at $154,995, not including the base G.T. 500. Shelby American will begin accepting orders when the Shelby 1000 is unveiled at the New York International Auto Show. Those interested in reserving a car can contact Shelby American at 702/942-7325 or visit www.shelbyamerican.com after April 5, 2012.
Shelby 1000 Specifications
- Factory 5.4L Engine Balanced And Rebuilt
- Ford Racing Crankshaft
- Carillo Rods Diamond Pistons With Ceramic Coating
- Comp Cams "Shelby Blower Grind" Camshafts
- Comp Cams Valve-Springs And Titanium Retainers
- Stage 3 Ported Heads With Extreme Duty Valves
- Arp Main Studs (Align Honed) And Head Studs (Torque Plate Hone)
- Canton 8-Quart Oil Pan
- MLS Head Gaskets
- 80 Lb. EV 14 Injectors
- Shelby Performance 1,000hp Fuel System
- KB Boost-A-Pump
- 3.6L Kenne Bell Supercharger With Inlet Pipe And 123mm Mass-Air Meter
- Kenne Bell Twin-Blade 65mm Throttle Body
- C&R Heat Exchanger
- Innovators West 10 Percent Overdrive Pulley
- Thumper RR Belt Tensioner
- Meziere 55 gpm Water Pump
- C&R Radiator And Coolant Tanks
- Dual Spal Electric Fans
- JBA 3-Inch Exhaust
- Carbon Fiber Overlay Kit
- Spec Super Twin Clutch And Flywheel Kit
- Custom Dynotech Alumi- Num Driveshaft
- Driveshaft Safety Loop
- MGW Short-Throw Shifter
- Custom Currie 9-Inch Rearend Conversion
Suspension & Brakes
- Eibach R2 Suspension
- Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
- Shelby Front K-Member With Control Arms
- Shelby Billet Watts Link
- Rear Suspension Anti-Hop Upgrade
- Shelby/Wilwood 6-Piston Front Brakes
- Shelby/Wilwood Rear Brakes For 9-Inch Conversion
- Shelby 20x9 3-Piece Forged Billet Aluminum Front Wheels
- Shelby 20x11 3-Piece Forged Billet Aluminum Rear Wheels
- Pilot Sport Cup Tires
Interior & Exterior
- Shelby A-Pillar Gauge Pod
- Custom Fiberglass Hood
- Custom Rear Deck Filler Panel With Reflective Graphic
- Shelby 1000 Reflective Side Graphics
- 4.0L Whipple Supercharger
- American Racing 2-Inch Headers
- L&M 75mm Throttle Body
- Revised Tune
- Baer Extreme Front Brakes