March 17, 2014

Mustang I Die-Cast

Automodello recently sent us a sneak-peek photo of their '62 Mustang I die-cast (see February issue's Pony Tales), but even that didn't prepare us for the quality of the real 1/24-scale model that comes in a beautiful display case. The "Tribute edition" die-cast features excellent detail of the two-seater sports car that debuted the Mustang name to the world. Only 499 units will be offered for $299.95, with an additional 150 hand-signed by Dan Gurney, who drove the Mustang I during its Watkins Glen introduction, for $350.

The Mustang I is also available in 1/43-scale, with 999 produced for $119.95 and 50 with Gurney's signature for $195.

The Mustang I die-casts are available at the Automodello website, www.automodello.com. But better hurry with your order; according to Automodello, some of the die-casts were almost sold-out in early 2014.

Snap-Together '15

Here's a future collectible—if you were lucky enough to attend the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last January and get your hands on the first official '15 Mustang model kit. During the show, Revell hosted a "Make 'n Take" event at the Ford booth, where children (and some adults too, we're sure) were able to snap-together their Auto Show Edition '15 Mustang, and then take it home.

"For nearly 50 years, kids of all ages have been configuring and building their own personal full-size and small-scale Mustangs," said Steve Ling, Ford car marketing manager. "Now they can build a new dream car and take it home. Many of us grew up building model cars, and it's great to have Revell join us in Detroit with its newest model kit as we show off the all-new Ford Mustang at an auto show for the first time."

Revell's '15 Mustang model kit easily snaps together in minutes. No word yet on when, or if, the snap-together model will be available in stores.

News Desk

The launch book for the '15 Mustang, authored by John Clor, has received an August publishing date, about the same time the new Mustang arrives in Ford dealerships. The working title (and subject to change): Mustang Reimagined: The Inside Story of How Ford Redesigned its Iconic Pony Car for 2015 and Beyond.

After a successful 2013 holiday fundraiser centered on a Shelby Christmas tree ornament, the Carroll Shelby Foundation donated $7,500 to the Eli Home for Children.

In an early January interview with the Associated Press, Ford CEO Alan Mulally stated that he is not leaving Ford to take over as CEO for Microsoft. "I have no other plans to do anything other than serve Ford," Mulally said, noting that he is sticking with his plan to stay with Ford at least through 2014.

The Shelby American Automobile Club has announced that SAAC-39 will be held at Wisconsin's Road America in conjunction with the SVRA. Visit www.saac.com for more info.

Rick Mitchell has reactivated his Mustang Six Association, now devoted to all six-cylinder Mustangs, '65-'14. Send an email to Rick at remitchell22@aol.com for more information.

Hanahawk Communications will produce a video documentary and daily video blogs of the Mustangs Across America 50th Anniversary Drive on April 10-16. The video will capture the excitement of over 500 Mustangs and their owners on their journey from Los Angeles to Charlotte for the Mustang 50th Birthday Celebration. Visit www.mustangsacrossamerica.com for more information.

The Coker Group, parent company of reproduction tire company Coker Tire, has opened a new 100,000 sq. ft. distribution and wheel manufacturing center in City of Industry, California.

Many of us grew up building model cars, and it's great to have Revell join us in Detroit with its newest model kit as we show off the all-new Ford Mustang at an auto show for the first time."