5.0 Mustang & Super FordsNews & Views
Mustang Late-Model Aptitude Test
Think you know '79-'05 Mustang trivia better than anyone else? Take ourquiz to find out how high you rank on the Melvin meter
It's about time we did this. We know how tough it is to resist a goodtrivia quiz, and we finally decided it was time to rate your knowledgeof late-model Mustang lore. Sure, you might know where all the paintdaubs go, but what about your knowledge of racing? If you are a dragrace fan, do you know anything about the progression of these cars? Theconcept of being a Melvin grew out of vintage Mustang fans knowing alittle too much about all that restoration stuff, but to us, alate-model Melvin needs a well-rounded knowledge of all-things '79 topresent.
Horse Sense: This is a tough test, so if you need to cheat on some ofthe Melvin statistics, check out the Official Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference and Performance Handbook by Al Kirschenbaum and the Fox-BodyRecognition Guide 1979-1993 by Thomas A. Shreiner and Peter C. Sessler.We did. You also might want to check out our voluminous history storyback in the Nov. '02 issue ("Behind the Mustang," p. 44).
What follows is a tough quiz with questions from the last 26 years. Ifyou can get a little over half of these 90 questions correct, you areall right in our book. Do us one favor take the test once before youstart cheating (That means you too Johnson). Only you will know yourreal score, but at least you'll know where you rate. Just be gladthere's no essay question at the end!
A LINK TO THE ANSWERS IS AT THE BOTTOM OF EACH PAGE
1. What size fuel injectors were factory installed on '87-'93 5.0 Mustangs?
A 19 lb/hr
B 24 lb/hr
C 36 lb/hr
D 42 lb/hr
2. What was the name of the concept car that predated the '03 Cobra by 10 years, but featured a roots-supercharged, intercooled, Four-Valve 4.6 under the hood?
A Mach II
C Mach III
3. What year did the Fox Mustang receive true dual exhaust?
4. Who was acknowledged as the first man to run a 9-second pass at the Super Ford magazine 5.0 liter Shootout?
A Stormin' Norman Gray
B Steve Grebeck
C Doug Mangrum
D Craig Radovich
5. When did the Fox Mustang first receive a third brake light?
6. The first Steeda Mustangs were named after what storied road course?
A Daytona International Speedway
B Bradenton Motorsports Park
C Moroso Motorports Park
D Sebring International Raceway
7. The '80-'81 Mustangs did not have a 5.0. What was the displacement of their optional V-8s?
A 4.2 liters
B 4.6 liters
C 5.4 liters
D 5.8 liters
8. What racer drove his Mustang to an undefeated season in SCCA Trans Am?
A Dorsey Schroeder
B Tommy Kendall
C Parnelli Jones
D Boris Said
9. Whose Fox Mustang graced BFGoodrich's early '90s ad campaign?
A Big Daddy Dwayne Gutridge
B Dario Orlando
C Michael Johnson
D Lidio Iacobelli
10. What year was the Mustang's sister car, the Fox Capri, produced without the ugly bubble hatch glass?
11. What are the names of the upgraded audio systems in the '05 Mustang?
12. Bonus Question: What upgraded audio systems did the Shakers replace?
A Premium Sound
13. Which one of these vehicles did not receive the SVT treatment?
14. What was the first commercially available, aftermarket aluminum cylinder head for the 5.0 Mustang?
C Edelbrock Performer
D Trick Flow Street Heat
15. What was Ford Racing Performance Parts' original name?
A Ford Racing
B Ford Motorsport SVO
C Ford Racing Technology
D Special Vehicle Engineering