July 1, 2007

GT HoodsIt seems that all of today's '67 GTs and GTAs have the deluxe hood, but the scooped hood was never listed as part of the GT Equipment Group. It's my understanding that the deluxe version was part of the Exterior Dcor Group. Were all GTs/GTAs given a deluxe hood at the factory as part of the package? Have you come across any GTs with the standard hood?Brad SmithVia the Internet

You're correct that the deluxe hood was part of the Exterior Dcor Group. That was the only way to get one with the turn-signal indicators in the reverse-facing scoops. It wasn't a standalone option, nor was it part of the GT option. Many '67 GTs and GTAs were delivered without it, so they came with the standard one. Through-out the years, many owners have replaced their standard hoods with the deluxe version.

A few unique items were available only with the GT package, such as the GT badges and stripes, foglamps, and the trumpet exhaust tips in '65-'66. Other components were available separately, including the disc brakes and heavy-duty suspension. Some items, such as the foglamps, were available through Ford's accessory program.

Engine VIN StampingI'm restoring a '69 Mach 1 with a 351 Windsor engine. I have concerns that the engine isn't original-there should be an engine stamping or plate on the block, but I can't find it. Can you help?Mike WattsMargate, FL

The VIN is stamped on the driver-side rear of the engine block, between the cylinder head and bellhousing-bolt area. The 351W and big-block 429s share this location. The VIN may be difficult to see because there isn't much room between the engine and firewall. A mechanic's mirror may prove worthwhile for viewing the rear of the engine.

Other small-blocks, such as the 289 Hi-Po, are stamped on the oil-pan rail on the front passenger-side of the block. The 302s, including the Boss 302, are stamped on the top of the block, behind the intake manifold. Replacement service blocks won't have a stamped VIN.

Thanks to my old friend Randy Ream for jogging my memory.

Power DrumsMy '68 Mustang hardtop still has the original drum brakes. They work well but require excessive pedal pressure compared to modern cars. If a power booster is added, how would it compare to discs in the front? Can the original master cylinder still be used? Does the booster have to fit directly behind the master cylinder, or is there an easier way?Sid ArtheyVia the Internet

Remotely mounted brake boosters are available and commonly used by street rodders, although it's easier to install a power booster on the firewall, such as the factory power brakes. Power drum brakes were a dealer-installed option for '67-'68 Mustangs and included a new booster and brake pedal with the stock 1-inch-bore master cylinder.

Drum brakes can't match the performance of disc brakes, particularly under severe use. For normal street driving, power drum brakes should prove more than adequate. Be sure you have quality, riveted brake shoes because the shoe material has a large effect on brake quality.

The booster and brake pedal have been reproduced and are available from Mustang Monthly advertisers. The power brake pedal is longer than its nonpower counterpart because it utilizes a different pivot point. This change is necessary so the power-assist can be modulated smoothly, preventing the brakes from feeling overly sensitive.

Larger LinesI have a stock 289, and I'm going to install an Edelbrock Performer 500-cfm four-barrel carb on an Edelbrock aluminum intake. I've also decided to replace my original gas tank to get rid of 40 years worth of grime. Can I replace the fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump with 31/48-inch instead of the original 51/416-inch line?Jeff WolfeVia the Internet

The folks at Classic Tube (800/882-3711) have offered the oversize fuel line for '65-'66 Mustangs for a number of years. The factory 51/416-inch line is OK for a stock, street-driven vehicle. More fuel delivery is required for high-performance applications. All Ford vehicles after '67 utilize a 31/48-inch fuel line, thus your choice is logical. Classic Tube offers the 31/48-inch line in plain steel and stainless.