Jerry Heasley
January 30, 2007
New motors from Hydro-E-Lectric are direct replacements for '65-'73 Mustangs. The electrical plug is included.

While it's true that basic subjects such as replacing a convertible top might not be the most thrilling to read about, they're often the most informative and helpful to many Mustang owners. In any case, if you have a vintage Mustang convertible and it needs a new motor to raise and lower the car's power top, we have good news: the replacement task is, in fact, very easy. All you have to do is remove the rear seat, remove the two nuts holding the motor in place, as well as the two fittings for the hydraulic lines, unplug the motor from the wiring harness in the car, and install the new one. It should take 20-30 minutes.

Although it's easy, we didn't have a car to use as a guinea pig. So, we again turned to our friends at Mustang Country International, one of our favorite shops to work with in the Los Angeles area. They had a '66 convertible on hand for our photos.

Finally, a good source for a new motor is Hydro-E-Lectric, a company specializing in convertible-top parts for all '65-'04 Mustang ragtops. Hydro-E-Lectric offers replacement motors for $220; they also have top cylinders for $135 and hose sets for $100.