Mustang MonthlyHow To Interior Electrical
How To Fix Sloppy Windows
Window function getting sloppy? Mustangs Etc. has the goods to get windows working smoothly again
Sloppy window function is one thing we’re more than familiar with in classic Mustangs. Their dated old-fashioned rollup windows didn’t perform very well when they were new, let alone when they’re more than 50 years old.
The nylon window rollers (actually called guides because they don’t roll) deteriorate with age. They also get badly damaged during the rechroming and replating process due to exposure to heat and harsh chemicals.
You should replace them during the window-restoration process. You’ll glad to know that replacing window rollers or guides is easier than it looks. When rollup windows and quarter windows were manufactured a half century ago, they were joined, inserted into the die-cast window frame, swaged, and were ready for assembly.
Enthusiasts get intimidated by the swaged rivets that support the nylon guides. But all you have to do is drill out the rivets, remove the guides, and replace the rivet and guide assembly.
01. Typical of most Mustang window guides, these have been through the torture of replating heat and chemical damage. Mustangs Etc. offers the rivets and nylon discs that make up the guide
02. The replacement roller kit for Mustang quarter windows from Mustangs Etc. consists of the two roller halves, rivet or pin, spring washer, and the flat washer.
03. Rivet and outer roller go together like this. It is best to lubricate between the rollers and shaft (rivet) with white grease to allow freedom of rotation.
04. Inner roller is next, as shown. Together, these guys ride the window track.
05. The old rivet (shaft) is drilled out like this until the entire flange is gone, and it pops right out.
06. The roller assembly looks like this. The spring washer, also known as a wavy washer, goes between the roller and window frame.
07. This flat washer goes in between the roller, spring washer, and frame.
08. Seat the window frame on the roller assembly. You can perform swaging any number of ways, including a hydraulic or arbor press. We’re resorting to the use of a punch to flare the end of the rivet and begin the swaging process.
09-10. Once you get the flare, take a larger punch and smash the perimeter so it resembles this. This method isn’t pretty, but it’s effective. You may also use an industrial adhesive between the rivet and frame.
11. New rollers will make smooth work of window operation. Use white grease in the tracks and on the rollers. These are 1967-68 quarter windows. The 1965-66 rollers are narrower. Although the window tracks look the same, they will not interchange.