Jim Smart
September 9, 2003

Staggered Trot
If you have a need for staggered rear shocks on your Mustang and aren't sure how to get there, look no further than the '70-'77 Ford Maverick and Mercury Comet for solutions. Staggered rear shocks were standard on many of the '69-'70 Cobra Jet, Boss 302, and Boss 429 Mustangs. Few know they were also standard on economy cars like the Maverick and Comet. Visit your local salvage yard and get busy.

A Delcotron?
There are any number of ways to eliminate your Ford's external voltage regulator and go with a single-wire alternator. One way is to fit your Ford with a Delco alternator from the GM camp. The conversion process is relatively simple, and can be accomplished with simple handtools. We eliminate the Autolite/Motorcraft voltage regulator with a couple of simple splices, then we go with the Delcotron alternator. This can be accomplished with a late-model Ford Nippondenso alternator as well. The choice is yours, depending on your needs. If using a GM part on your Ford is troubling, consider the '70-'71 Ford 429-4V big-block, fitted from the factory with a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor, or the '71-'73 Mustang which used the Saginaw steering box from over at the GM camp. Other Fords produced during the '70s had Frigidaire air-conditioning compressors. Your Ford will function nicely with a Delcotron alternator.