Ford Mustang Overdrive Manual Transmission - How To Choose An Overdrive Manual Transmission
There Have Never Been More Choices For Classic And Late-Model Mustangs
Tremec TKO Features
- Higher center distance from main shaft to countershaft, which allows for larger gear sizes and greater torque capacity.
- Rugged design with internal three-rail shift system that includes cast-iron shift forks.
- Close ratio units available (2.87:1 and 3.27:1) for racing.
- Tapered roller bearings at the input, output, and countershafts for reduced noise and operational smoothness.
- All gears and shafts made of ASTM 4615 steel that can take a lot of abuse.
- High-performance, short throw billet aluminum shifter that isolates road noise while giving you crisp shifts.
- Neutral safety switch and backup light sensor.
- Eight shifter locations available.
- Electronic and mechanical speedometer locations.
- Three input shafts available.
- Three unique crossmember locations.
- 26-spline Input Shaft
- 31-spline Output Shaft (calls for M-4841-A driveshaft yoke)
- Requires M-6392-R58 bellhousing for '79-'95 Mustang
- Requires M-5059-A crossmember for '82-'93 Mustang
- '79-'81 Crossmember requires modification
- M-7550-T302 101/2-inch clutch disc required
- One overdrive ratio available for TKO 500-0.68:1
- Two overdrive ratios available for TKO 600-0.64:1 and 0.82:1
- Weight: 130 lbs
Tremec T-56 Features
- Double overdrive provides extended overdrive range.
- 10-Spline Input Shaft
- 31-Spline Output Shaft
- Lightweight cast-aluminum case for reduced weight and increased strength.
- Tapered roller bearings to support main and countershafts for reduced noise and smooth operation.
- Needle bearings throughout for improved durability and reduced shift effort.
- Advanced synchronizer technology.
- Constant mesh synchronized reverse gear.
- Integral clutch adaptor with front cover end-loading design for increased driveline bending strength and greater adaptability.
- Multiple shifter locations.
- Torque capacities ranging from 330 to 550 ft/lb.
- Weight: 115-129 lbs
Give It The Boot
Unless you're using a California Pony Cars' classic Mustang shifter handle on your T-5, TKO, TR-3550, or T-56, you're going to need a late-model leather shifter boot to conceal your transmission's shifter. If you're running the classic-style shifter handle, you will probably run a classic-style rubber shifter boot. In any case, we like this leather shifter boot (M-7277-A) from Ford Racing. Once installed, it makes your classic or late-model Mustang's interior look crisp and ready for action. About $81, plus shipping and handling, will put this piece on your doorstep. It can be punched or drilled to match your classic Mustang's bolt hole pattern.