Muscle Mustangs & Fast FordsHow To Chassis Suspension
Prevent breakage and improve performance with this S550 Billet Rear Shock Mount from Steeda Autosports
Steeda’s Super Shock Solution
If you’re looking for a quick and easy modification you can do at home, take a look at Steeda’s billet shock mount for the S550 (2015-present) Ford Mustang. The rear upper shock mount is located behind the rear tires (in the wheelwell); its purpose is to connect the upper portion of the rear shock to the chassis, and Steeda’s version is a perfect upgrade if you’ve lowered your Stang or added stiff shocks.
“The factory mount is cast from aluminum and it’s fitted with a rubber bushing that supports the shock, Said Glen Vitale of Steeda. “Once the aftermarket shocks started coming out for the S550 Mustang, people all across the country ran into issues breaking the factory rear shock mount. Whether it was drag racing or road racing, very stiff shocks were causing problems for customers. That's when our team at Steeda got together to come up with a solution,” he added.
The result is a billet aluminum mount that’s designed specifically for the S550 chassis with a steel, spherical Teflon-lined bearing rather than a rubber bushing. Not only is the Steeda unit stronger, it offers improved rear shock control, and the kit provides ¼-inch more clearance per side so you can run wider rear tires.
Vitale also said, “unlike the factory mounts with a rubber bushing that can bind and will deteriorate over time on lowered cars or cars with aggressive shock settings, these units feature a Steeda-spec stainless steel spherical Teflon-lined bearing for optimum performance and control. The mounts are made in the USA from billet 6061 aluminum, and Steeda currently offers five versions of the mount to fit the wide range of shocks on the market.”
The aluminum mounts are also a nice upgrade for those running stock shocks, especially if you plan to upgrade to Pro-Actions (or another aftermarket shock) in the future. There is no drilling required, and these mounts are upgradable with a simple spacer and nut change (PN 555-8153). The Steeda Billet Shock Mounts are also great for drag racers, drifting and autocross, or if you're running aggressive shocks on your Ford. In any case they will enhance control with uncompromised durability, and they are available for all 2015-present Mustangs, including the 5.0L GT, EcoBoost or V6 models.
Steeda Rear Shock Mount Options
PN 555-8151: All stock shocks, Viking shocks, Ford Performance shocks (10mm-1.5 diameter)
PN 555-8152: Steeda Adjustable Pro-Action shocks, Koni adjustable shocks (12mm-1.25 diameter)
PN 555-8160: Steeda Non-Adjustable Pro-Action Shocks, Koni non-adjustable shocks, KW V3 adjustable shocks (10mm-1.0 diameter)
PN 555-8161: Steeda coilovers, Vogtland coilovers, Bilstein coilovers, Roush coilovers, BC Racing coilovers (sleeve, no threads)
Custom: AirRide (10mm-1.25 diameter)
1. Installation requires raising the Mustang on a lift or supporting the car with jack stands. Next remove the rear wheels.
2. With the wheels removed, support the lower end of the housing to remove the load from the shocks. Then you can remove the two bolts securing the shock mount to the chassis.
3. Next simply compress the shock by hand…
4. … and remove the nut retaining the mount.
5. Here’s the stock mount compared to the billet Steeda unit. The second photo illustrates the difference between the rubber bushing (stock) and the spherical bearing in the Steeda mount.
6. To begin installation, slip the supplied washer on the shaft of the shock.
7. Then install the retaining nut and tighten to spec (roughly 26 lb-ft depending on shock type).
8. Next, we used a flathead scewdriver to align the mount with the holes in the chassis.
9. And we slipped the bolts in and tightened to spec (66 lb-ft).
10. Within an hour we had the Steeda rear, upper shock mount installed and we were ready for the track.