What's the Cannonball Run?
The Cannonball Run was originally an unofficial automobile race from New York to California. The idea for the event was dreamed up by car magazine writer and automobile racer Brock Yates in 1971. The race wasn't really a competitive event and wasn't supposed to involve any risk beyond getting a speeding ticket. The object of the Cannonball Run was to leave New York City and drive to Redondo Beach, California, in the shortest time possible.
Those were the only rules. Participants could choose any route and use any type of vehicle they wanted. There were no limitations on maximum speed. The vehicle entered would have to travel the entire distance and there could be no backup vehicle. Any speeding citations received along the way were the driver's responsibility.
The Cannonball Run could be considered a race in that the fastest time was declared the winner. Of course, having a car capable of great speed didn't guarantee a First Place finish and fun was the principle motivation. There were several movies based on the event, the most notable among them being 1976's The Gumball Rally.
Zeeshan Mohamed's '06 Mustang GT
- 4.6L SOHC V-8
- 281 ci
- Bore and stroke 3.55x3.54
- Steeda cold-air induction
- Steeda underdrive pulleys
- Meziere electric water pump
- SCT Live Wire tuner
- 327 hp and 326 lb-ft of torque with improvements
- Ford 5R55S five-speed automatic
- Aluminum driveshaft
- JBA equal-length ceramic-coated headers
- Bassani X-style crossover pipe
- Bassani axle-back exhaust
- Front: Eibach Pro Kit springs, Tokico adjustable struts, Steeda antisway bar
- Rear: Eibach Pro Kit springs, Tokico adjustable shocks, Steeda antisway bar, Billet endlinks, Steeda adjustable Panhard bar, Steeda adjustable upper third link
- Front: Baer Heavy Duty 14-inch two-piece rotors, two-piston calipers
- Rear: Baer DecelaRotors, cross-drilled and slotted
- Front: Boss Motorsports, custom airbrushed center caps, 20x8.5
- Rear: Boss Motorsports, custom airbrushed center caps, 20x10.5
- Front: Nitto NT555, P255/35ZR20
- Rear: Nitto NT555, P275/35ZR20
- Shelby CS hood, CDC aggressive chin spoiler, custom-made carbon-fiber wind splitter with support rods, Agent 47 mirrors, custom hand-painted emblems (including skulls and Mustang skeletons), painted rear taillights (black candy), front and rear clear corners, 3D Carbon headlamp splitters, reflective black limo tint on all windows other than windshield, matte/flat black racing stripes, custom airbrushed plenum cover, LED underbody light kit, Roush rear wing, hand-fabricated functional heat extracting steel-fenders, antenna delete
- Eclipse AVN navigation/DVD player, rearview backup camera, push-button ignition, Passport Escort radar hardwired, black leather interior, dash signed by Jack Roush, passenger headrest signed by Steve Saleen, driver headrest signed by Parnelli Jones, full interior and trunk sound-deadened with Dynamat