When the project was finally complete, Karl and his wife Jan didn't waste any time getting the Mustang out on the road. There were only 20 miles on the refurbished Pony when they left on a road trip for Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Car show and auto cross duty were included. Later on, when Karl tried to run the car at the Chandler, Arizona, dragstrip, a spider gear in the 9-inch axle let go. The dyno jet later recorded more than 480 horsepower at the rear wheels, so there's little doubt the car would have performed well in the quarter-mile. After some serious road time, Karl and Jan report that the car is very fast, handles and brakes incredibly, and provides endless big-time enjoyment. They also report that this Mustang generates a lot of interest at car shows, and that the real exclamations come when the hood goes up. We can see why.
Karl and Jan Moser's '65 Mustang 2+2 fastback
The visual treat that greets...
The visual treat that greets people looking underhood is extreme. The picture is mostly engine, with the elephantine 32-valve cam covers and streamlined Vortech E-trim induction set up. Indeed the installation is so sanitary that it looks like a new OEM offering. Karl has definitely got this car squared away. This 32-valve Cobra engine with Vortech installation and tune is good for more than
- 281 cubic inch 32-valve 4.6L DOHC V-8
- Vortech E-Trim centrifugal supercharger
- Rated for 460 hp and 408 lb-ft of torque
- Owner-built plenum and cold air induction system
- Owner-built bracketry and engine compartment plumbing
- '03 Mustang GT radiator and A/C condenser
- Tremec T45 five-speed manual
- Ford Cobra clutch assembly
- 9-inch axle
- 3.50 gears
- Traction-Lok differential
- Factory Cobra exhaust manifolds
- 2 1/2-inch exhaust system
- Flowmaster mufflers
- Front: Heidt's Hot Rod Shop Mustang II suspension, 2-inch drop spindles, tubular control arms, Koni shocks, 1 1/8-inch diameter antisway bar
- Rear: Five-leaf springs, Koni shocks, owner constructed sub-frame connectors, Traction Master under rider traction bars
- Front: '03 Cobra 13-inch cross-drilled and slotted disc, two-piston caliper
- Rear: '03 Cobra 11.65-inch cross-drilled and slotted disc, single-piston caliper
- Front: American Racing Torq-Thrust II, 17x8
- Rear: American Racing Torq-Thrust II, 17x8
- Front: BFGoodrich g-Force Sport, P235/45ZR17
- Rear: BFGoodrich g-Force Sport, P245/45ZR17
- Black vinyl standard interior, OE under dash air conditioning, '65 Cobra tachometer, fully restored and upgraded instrumentation, Ray Brown racing front seat belts, optional Ford factory metal spoke wood grained steering wheel
Factory authentic is the rule...
Factory authentic is the rule of the day for the inner world on Karl's Mustang. The standard interior is correct right down to the shift handle and knee knocker air conditioning. Only deviations from stock include upgraded seatbelts, factory optional wood grained steering wheel, and 1965 Cobra tachometer set high up on the dash pad.
- PPG Black single-stage paint, Shelby GT 350 R fiberglass front valance panel, Shelby sidescoops, functional front brake cooling scoops, engine oil and power steering coolers, owner-fabricated fuel door and exterior trim, matte black Cobra rocker stripes