Mustang MonthlyFeatured Vehicles
1967 Ford Mustang GT Fastback - Clean One-Owner
Ed Schmidt Never Expected To Keep His 1967 Ford Mustang GT Fastback For 40 Years
The engine dyno'ed at over 300 horsepower, which reaches the 3.50 gears through a Tremec TKO five-speed.
Inside, the restored Parchment interior appears original until you spot the ididit tilt steering column, TMI Sport Seat kit (over the original bucket frames), Custom Auto Sound stereo with JVC speakers in the kick panels, a Retrogage mini-tachometer, and three-point seat belts. A vintage-style shifter handle belies the five-speed in the tunnel. Dynamat sound deadener reduces the road rumble.
On my short drive with Lonny Childress, I discovered that Ed's fastback is delightful on the street. The Gateway rack-and-pinion steering is quick and precise, and the ride beats any vintage Mustang with original-style A-arms. Although I refrained from throwing someone else's Mustang into hard cornering situations, I was able to determine that Ed's GT is fully capable of taking on more than average street driving. In fact, Ed drove his Mustang on the track at the Hallett Motor Racing Circuit during the Mid America Ford and Team Shelby Nationals, where his instructor was surprised by the handling of an "old" Mustang.
After over 40 years of ownership, Ed is thrilled with his renewed relationship with his renewed Mustang. "I guess now I can say it's a 'clean one-owner' car," Ed laughs. "I never expected to keep it 10 years, much less 40!"
Photo GalleryView Photo Gallery
- 289, built by Rolla Competition Engines on original block
- Edelbrock Performance RPM aluminum heads Edelbrock Torker aluminum intake with Holley 600-cfm four-barrel
- Comp Cams' hydraulic cam
- Hi-Po exhaust manifolds with Magnaflow mufflers
- PerTronix Ignitor electronic ignition
- Tremec TKO five-speed
- Modern Driveline hydraulic throw- out bearing system
- Nine-Inch Factory 9-inch rearend with 3.50 Tru-Track differential
- Front: Gateway Performance Suspension Street Stock struts with 11 inch disc brakes
- Rear: Leaf springs with 3/4-inch rear sway bar and stock drum brakes
- Steering: Gateway Performance Suspension rack-and-pinion
- Wheels: Styled Steel-15x7 front, 15x8 rear
- Tires: BFGoodrich Radial T/A - 225/60/15 front, 245/60/15 rear
- Stock seat frames with TMI Sport Seat kit
- Custom Auto Sound USA-630 stereo and dash speaker JVC 6-1/2-inch speakers in custom kick panel
- Ididit tilt steering column
- Retrogage mini-tach in factory clock location
- Dynamat sound and heat protection
- Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit air-conditioning with Sanden compressor
- Three-point seat belts
- American Auto Wire Classic wiring system
- Raven Black Dupont basecoat/ clearcoat paint with white G stripes
- Xenon Hi-Po headlights