Modified Mustangs & Fords
SEMA Show 2012
Crashing the automotive aftermarket's biggest party in search of the latest high-performance parts
Every year, automotive enthusiasts, technicians, builders, journalists, and more drop by Sin City for the annual SEMA Show to see all of the latest parts, broker deals, and check out the cool customized rides that are displayed in various booths to attract attention to a new product or the company in general. This year saw a number of vintage Ford muscle on display from a vehicle standpoint, and as you'll see in this story, there are a number of very cool products coming to market for the classic Mustang and Ford enthusiast.
1. As you may have noticed from the lead photo, Competition Cams new four-pattern camshafts were awarded SEMA's Best Performance-Street product of 2013 award. Here, Comp Performance Group's Chris Douglas explains to us how the Comp's four-pattern camshaft technology stems from years of secret NASCAR technology that has now been made available to street performance enthusiasts. These four-pattern camshafts are designed for single-plane intake manifolds that feature varying runner lengths. The valve timing events are altered to balance the air/fuel ratio per cylinder. Comp claims that this technology can add 1,000 rpm over standard hydraulic roller camshafts, and improve power by 20-50 hp both under the curve and at peak. Currently, the four-pattern camshaft technology is only available for the small-block Ford. We'll be looking to test this technology out in an upcoming issue.
2. McLeod launched its new Direct-Fit Hydraulic Conversion Kit for '64-'68 Mustangs. Designed with the very best components for ease of install and great life, these hydraulic kits provide an easy clutch pedal effort for easy cruising. McLeod also built in a self-adjusting bearing feature, so as the clutch disc wears down throughout its lifecycle, the bearing self adjusts to compensate and continue to offer optimum clutch engagement.
3. It's probably not exactly on the list of restomodders everywhere, but nonetheless cool is the twin-turbo 5.0L powerplant of the '14 Ford Racing Cobra Jet Mustang Concept that was on display. Realizing that the 2.9-liter supercharger employed on the '13 Cobra Jet requires as much as 100 horsepower just to spin it, the Ford Racing looked to Ford's experience in turbocharging with the EcoBoost powerplants for a solution. Ford Racing Performance Parts' twin turbo 5.0L Cobra Jet engine is expected to push its 3,000-pound CJ Mustangs to high 8-second elapsed times in the quarter-mile though the use of twin Borg Warner 71mm EFR turbochargers and dual Spearco air-to-air intercoolers. You can check out a short video of the Twin Turbo CJ in action on FordRacingTV's Youtube channel.
4. And speaking of 5.0L DOHC engines, Edelbrock debuted its new supercharged 5.0L crate engines. Starting with a Ford Racing Performance Parts Aluminator low-compression engine (9.5:1), Edelbrock tops off the potent mill with one of its E-Force Supercharger systems that features the Eaton TVS 2300 blower. Edelbrock says the lower compression ratio is designed for safe operation with 91-octane fuel, and that the blown cammer is rated at 700 hp and 606 lb-ft of torque. The crate engine is available with and without a controls pack, and it’s backed by a two-year/unlimited mileage warranty.
5. Just released is this 390 GT high-performance air cleaner from Scott Drake. The bright piece is a Concours-quality reproduction of the original (C7ZZ-9600-E), and makes for a better breathing option for all '68-'70 390-428 engines.
6. Trick Flow plans to release a new version of its successful Twisted Wedge head for small-block Fords, dubbed the 11R. Trick Flow adjusted the intake and exhaust valve angles, as well as the combustion chamber arrangement, to increase flow and performance.
Photo GalleryView Photo Gallery
7. A company founded on the belief that everything should be customizable, Restomod Air offers distinct air conditioning solutions for you hot rod. The company offers a number of unique styles that can be further customized with a number of different finishes and colors. The base styles change about every six months to keep the number of similar looking systems out there to a minimum. This helps to promote an exclusivity to each owner, so chances are you won't see every car at the local show with the same design in it. Restomod Air systems include everything you need to put the cool breeze between your windows.
8. Distinctive Industries has been around for decades, with the company offering high-quality replacement upholstery for cars from the 1960s through the early 2000s. Vintage Ford owners will be happy to know that Distinctive Industries covers '65-'04 Mustangs, as well as Falcons, Fairlanes, Torinos, Rancheros, Galaxies, and even Broncos, Panteras, and the SVT Ford Lightning trucks. Whether you need seat upholstery, door panels, package trays, convertible top boots, seat heaters, or custom upholstery, Distinctive Industries has you covered.
9. Edelbrock unveiled its new E-Street electronic fuel injection system that is designed to work with any carburetor intake manifold with a 4150-style flange. The system is ready to run right out of the box, features a wide-band oxygen sensor for accurate air/fuel ratio monitoring, and utilizes dynamic fuel control to learn your engine's requirements. One thing that sets the E-Street EFI apart from others is the included 7-inch tablet used to program the system. The tablet is a wireless, blue-tooth-based unit that also offers a digital dashboard application for engine monitoring. To complement the E-Street EFI, Edelbrock offers a few different fuel system options, including this new universal fuel reservoir kit. This kit is designed for vehicles that are equipped with low-pressure, carbureted fuel systems, and is installed under the hood. The reservoir kit eliminates the need for a return line and is capable of delivering a constant 60 psi of fuel pressure.
10. For all of the Coyote 5.0L engine swappers out there, C&R Racing is offering this aluminum radiator/electric fan setup just for classic Mustangs. C&R offers high-quality, high-performance radiators for most Mustangs, and now they are offering one just for classic Mustangs that have a Coyote between the fenders. Available with the standard core or race core, each radiator comes with AN-20 inlets and outlets, as well as an internal thermostat and Spal dual electric fans.
11. San Diego-based HRE Wheels and Wisconsin-based automotive artisans Ringbrothers have come together to offer the new Ringbrothers Editions by HRE Wheels. Mike and Jim Ring have certainly pushed the envelope of muscle car design, and they have applied that same design philosophy to the new Ringbrothers wheel line. HRE will initially offer two unique Ringbrothers designs, the RB1 that utilizes HRE's proven Monoblok technology, while the RB2 (Pictured) is a lightweight, high-strength forged three-piece. The new Ringbrothers Editions will be available in 18-, 19-, 20-, and 21-inch diameters, with widths ranging from 8 to 13 inches. Custom bolt patterns are also available as are optional center-lock hubs.
12. Designed to complement the EZ-EFI 2.0 system, these die-cast aluminum valve covers and air cleaner are a nice high-end upgrade over your typical stamped and chrome-plated steel dress up items. The FAST logo is prominently displayed on both of these black-crinkle-coated items, and the valve covers feature a tall profile for valvetrain clearance. Breathers are included, and the valve covers (not the SBC ones pictured, of course) fit small-block Ford engines. The unique air cleaner features a hidden fastener design that is covered with a magnetic logo insert, and it is available in 14x8x3 and 14x12x2½ sizes.
13. McLeod Racing's new Line Launch is sure to be a hit with the drag racing crowd. It allows you to disengage the clutch hydraulically, and at the push of the button, drop the hammer and enjoy hard launches. An added benefit is that McLeod has a two-stage switch, so you can tie the Line Launch into your roll control device and operate the two simultaneously.
14. For small-block Ford race engines operating in the 3,500-7,500rpm range, Trick Flow now offers a carbureted R-Series intake manifold. Features include extra material for porting, integrated bosses for fuel injectors or nitrous nozzles, and a choice of mounting patterns.
15. Scott Drake just came out with this Boss 302-style oil pan baffle and pickup tube. Made to fit the Scott Drake Mustang reproduction oil pan, this kit is a great upgrade to your early 260/289/302 small-block and will help prevent oil starvation during spirited driving.
16. The latest in bolt-on EFI, FAST's EZ-EFI 2.0 features ignition control, a higher flowing and higher horsepower capable throttle body, and tuning that will support 1,200 horsepower. The handheld tuning interface has been updated with a color touch screen, as well as on-board diagnostics and EZ-Test indicator lights. EZ-EFI can be used with a number of different fuels, and comes dressed in a sweet black crinkle coat.
17. Taking advantage of Ford’s EcoBoost technology is this 3.5L V-6 EcoBoost crate engine from Ford Racing Performance Parts. The twin-turbo, direct-injected mill offers a stout 365 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque—enough to embarrass most small-blocks these days—while offering superior fuel economy. As no one has had a chance to drop one of these between the fenders of a classic Mustang, the jury is still out on shock tower fitment, however, Ford Racing will make the install easy by offering an electronic controls pack for the engine. Look for this to hit the shipping docks in the spring of 2013.
18. Available for '64-'68 Mustangs, these remote control mirrors from Scott Drake feature integrated LED turn signals. Trick pieces for sure and a nice addition to your restomod.
19. For those high-friction, high-heat racing environments, C&R Racing offers this Pro-touring Ford 9-Inch Rear Gear with Internal Oil pump. The pump circulates the diff fluid to an external cooler to ensure optimum lubrication of the differential and ring and pinion gears. The lightweight, nodular-iron housing can be fitted with optional gears that have been chemically treated to reduce friction. C&R offers the package with numerous gear and differential options as well.
20. Seeing a need for something a bit more aggressive than what it offers in it's current line up of hydraulic roller, small-block Ford camshafts, Trick Flow Specialties just added a pair of race-bred profiles to its Track Max line. The smaller of the two features a duration split of 242/246 at 0.050, with lift figures of 0.595.595 and an LSA of 110 degrees. The more aggressive of the two profiles features the same LSA and lift figures, while stepping up duration to 250/254 at 0.050.
21. NASCAR brought in electronic fuel injection to its Sprint Cup series in 2012, and Holley now offers the same 950-cfm throttle body that is used on those 200-mph screamers for your hot rod at home. Terminator EFI is a bolt-on EFI system that is ready to start and run after answering just a few short questions about your combination. The unit self tunes from there. The integrated injectors are designed for 200- to 600hp applications, and the throttle body will fit any 4150-flanged intake manifold. Holley offers a number of optional fuel systems as well.
22. Eight Stack Injection had a number of products on display, including this small-block Ford setup that featured black wrinkle coat assemblies, along with polished stacks and manifold. Looking to complement it's offering for Windsor, FE, and SOHC engines, Eight Stack also has plans for a forthcoming eight-stack injection system for the 5.0L Coyote engine as well.
23. Robert Pond Motorsports was on hand to display its latest SOHC high-performance engine parts, including these trick aluminum cylinder heads. The CNC-ported runners are said to flow about 15 percent better than the factory castings, and RPM added five additional boltholes to the exhaust flange for better sealing. Whether you need individual parts or a complete engine, Robert Pond Motorsports most likely has you covered on the 427 SOHC front.