5.0 Mustang & Super FordsEvents
Twin Birthday Celebrations Planned For Ford Mustang 50th-Anniversary
Mustang Club of America, Ford Motor Company To Celebrate With Two Venues
The Ford Mustang is celebrating 50 continuous years on the road with twin celebrations starting on April 16 and ending April 20, 2014. With an event of this size, Ford Motor Company and the Mustang Club of America (MCA) are holding the massive event simultaneously at two locations – Las Vegas Motors Speedway and Charlotte Motor Speedway. This event is open to everyone, not just Mustang owners and MCA members.
“Working closely with Ford, we want to make the official Mustang 50-Year celebration the most important car event of 2014,” said Ronald D. Bramlett, Mustang Club of America executive director of the Mustang 50th Birthday Celebration. “We hope everyone who loves this iconic car will join us to share their personal Mustang story.
“Whether you love modern or vintage Mustangs, Shelby or Boss, racing or cruising, a new fan or have been enjoying the lifestyle for years, we’ll have something memorable for everyone at both locations.”
Both venues, Charlotte Motor Speedway in North Carolina and Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Nevada are two of the most prestigious racetracks in the United States and will allow the maximum number of enthusiasts worldwide for this huge celebration. MCA is organizing “Pony Drives” where owners can travel in organized groups to whatever Speedway is on their radar.
“Mustang enthusiasts are among the most passionate fans in the world,” said Steven Ling, Ford car marketing manager. “These twin events are really for them. We’re proud to be part of this celebration of a car that’s often called the soul of Ford Motor Company.
“Everyone has a Mustang story, and we will give people a forum to express those stories with others who also love this car.”
The Ford Mustang is Ford’s heartbeat, selling 9 million and counting of these pony cars throughout its lifetime. One of the keys to its success is that the Mustang has always been offered in many configurations, allowing buyers to customize them as their very own.
“One of the highlights at both venues will be a display featuring examples from each of the first 50 model years of Mustang,” said Bramlett. “We’ll include cars released in April 1964 to the latest models out of Flat Rock Assembly Plant.”
The first Ford Mustang was introduced at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York, and it has become an icon in American pop culture. This is one car that has made over 3,000 appearances in television shows, movies, music videos as well as mentioned in many songs over the years. The Mustang also dominates Facebook with more followers than any other auto page.
With such an easy car to personalize with aftermarket parts available everywhere, it’s a car that appeals to almost everyone and it’s easy to see why it has been on the road for five continuous decades.
The twin celebration tentative schedule is as follows:
• Wednesday, April 16 – This is the first official day of the Mustang 50th Celebration, which will feature many vendors and exhibits as enthusiasts start to pour in.
• Thursday, April 17 – With this being the official birthday of the Ford Mustang, the Mustang Club of America will conduct opening ceremonies followed by a host of activities. There will be a birthday cake celebration with everybody singing “Happy Birthday.” This day will feature track time, Ford ride-and-drives, hot laps, and other interactive activities. Car displays, vendors and special exhibits will be there to celebrate.
• Friday, April 18 – The event will be at its peak with track events, road racing, drag racing, and other interactive driving events. Car displays, vendors, and special exhibits will be on hand. MCA will host a themed dinner with live entertainment.
• Saturday, April 19 – This day will follow Friday’s pattern. Dinner will feature Saturday Night Banquet complete with guest speakers and entertainment.
• Sunday, April 20 – Easter Sunrise Services will be held at both tracks. Parade laps will be held at each speedway as well as other memorable activities and photo opportunities. MCA will host closing ceremonies in the afternoon.
Details are being formalized for the event. Information will be continuously updated on a special website, http://www.mustang50thbirthdaycelebration.com and at the MCA website, http://www.mustang.org/.